Monday, August 13, 2007

The Day The Sky Hit Me.


The thunder is rolling across the sky from one side of the house to the other. The lightning still giving me little frights even though its now been a regular occurrence for at least an hour. The rain hit three hours ago. I say hit because the only warning we had was a hurriedly approaching dark sky. It literally hit us in a torrent of massive sized, super powered raindrops. We were in the car driving home from IKEA (ahhhhh IKEA the most beautiful home shop in the world, more on that later).

So we were in the car and noticed the ominous black cloud. It wasn’t long till we saw the wall of water we were approaching. We drove from dry ground to sodden ground in seconds, sending waves of murky water onto the side walk on one side and lane of cars on the other. This is what I’d call a downpour without any exaggeration whatsoever. I’m told that apparently, this is very unusual for Denmark – especially in the summer. I’m nodding my head in agreement but wondering if it isn’t perhaps a well kept secret that Denmark is in fact experiencing sub tropical weather and thinks us foreigners can be diverted from this possible threat to summer tourism with a quick excuse. Hmm, I feel a conspiracy theory coming on.

By the way New Zealanders, it was a huge downpour, with considerable flooding and yes we do still have power.


So you think, "yes Rachel that’s interesting but we know all about rain." I know, I know but if you know me then you’ll know I always prattle on before I get to the juicy stuff. So we’re driving along in the rain (Dina's driving, I’m helping), windscreen wipers totally ineffective, our faces are up close to the glass trying to make out what’s ahead of us and the air conditioning has been set to the cleary, hazy, windscreeny selection (forgot what its called). We arrive at Christian's apartment complex to drop off goodies we got him at IKEA. A quick call from the handy dandy cell phone and he’s at the entrance to the large brick building. I’m looking out the window of the car and notice the water level on the road is literally rising by the second. Every inch of me wanted to jump out of the hot car and splash through the now ankle deep river turning my face to the skies and stretching out my arms to let the rain water glide off my skin and onto the ground. It just seemed too childish – you have to have another nutter with you to feel more at home with these things. So we turn the car around to make it easier for Christian to retrieve his goodies from the boot. Then I see my opportunity to disguise my childish behaviour as an adultish gesture. I jump out of the car to help Christian carry his things into the apartment (he definitely needed help – the stuff was heavy!) ha, I was soaked in seconds, what a great feeling. Twice I jumped, landing perfectly with my feet locked together in a rather deep puddle on the way back to the car just in case any of me was still dry – the child in me lives on.
What an exhilarating experience (eek, got the car quite wet, hadn’t thought about that – this is a characteristic of childish behaviour though so all is forgiven, as we do with children, hee hee).

Anyway, the good bit is still coming. We are trying to make it to Fertex, a general store in Herlev a lot like Kmart I guess. We pull in out of the crazy weather and park in a covered car park where an underground tunnel goes under the busy road and up into the mall where Fertex is (very convenient these underground tunnels) . We clicked off a few silly photos of me out in the rain before making our way to the tunnel. Half way down the stairs I notice an unusual ripple reflection coming off the tiles below. On closer inspection we realise the tunnel is flooded! Now I know some of you are thinking, whoop-die-doo a flooded tunnel. But honestly, this was very cool. Each man hole was bubbling over with the water having absolutely nowhere to go, its intended to drain out around the man holes, not rise up through them. With the child in me revived I jump in the tunnel and splash around gleefully for a few blissful moments until I notice the water coming up out of the manholes is now a blacky browny colour, I decide most things these colours are unpleasant and stinky, the adult in me takes hold and I remove myself quickly. The story would end there but I have to say quickly that Dina called the police to report the flooding (there are shops in the tunnel – one is an electrical place, hee hee) we waited for them – they came – lovely guys, said a bunch of stuff in Danish, talked on their walkie talkies and did other boring policey stuff so Dina and I decided to go through the black tunnel water to Fertex after-all. It was fun (who cares about what black water means) the water was probably up to between my ankles and knees at the deepest part so it wasn’t so bad – but totally fun and memorable. We giggled all the way through Fertex knowing that on our exit we could splash our way back through the tunnel again. I’ve got some great pics to prove the whole thing really happened and am sitting here grinning stupidly with my wet hair hanging in dreads around my shoulders while I recall the events of the last 3 hours.


I can still hear the sounds of fire trucks and police cars blaring their sirens as they drive to emergencies all around us. But I am home, warm, about to eat dinner, and still ‘soaking’ up the good feelings of acting childishly and feeling great about it. If I have gained one thing for sure today that would be the reassurance that letting the child in me out is not such a bad choice now and then.

So as promised earlier… IKEA…. I’m sure some of you have heard of it. I’m not sure if we have any form of it in NZ but if we have then I didn’t know about it and that is a hideous crime to keep something so excitingly good from the peoples of the nation!! Ahhh IKEA. The land of the affordable yet classy homeware, furniture and fittings. I know! Classy and affordable, its hardly a thought we’d dare to consider in good ole NZ but there you are, it does exist. There’s so much to choose from in so many colour and design choices. It wouldn’t be hard to look like a professional interior designer in your own home if you’re secretly armed with an IKEA catalogue and the nearest super IKEA store! They have absolutely everything!! I’m not kidding. I just can’t describe it adequately so have a look at the photos and imagine what you see being all around you, in every category (eg. Glassware, candles, pot plants, linen, rugs, cushions, pots, art, storage….) We didn’t even go upstairs where all the furniture is this time as we spent too long downstairs with the homeware and storage systems! Ahh if/when I come back to NZ you can be sure I will be sending a container of IKEA stuff – It will be worth it for sure!!!

Gotta go comb out the wet dreads before they dry into masses of impossible tangles.
Remember, don’t be afraid of that child inside you screaming to get out. Let it free every now and then – you’ll be grateful you did, I promise!

Rach.





No comments: